Thread: adhesive conducting power?

Uwee Guest

adhesive conducting power?

I have a setup of 5 plates: +n-n+ (the wall socket covers from lowes) that have some plastic spacers between each plate. I was using a volt meter to check the voltage on each plate when I noticed that the hot glue we were using to seal the outside edges and area around the wire connectors that they were conducting power. alot of power actually. Can anyone explain to my how the hot glue was getting 6-9 volts in different areas. The plates were getting the 3v they should have but all that current leaking into the glue and being wasted is bothering me.

To try and resolve this we redid the setup with goop brand marine adhesive...same thing! I thought it was silicone based so why is it conducting power?

This is a test cell we are using to make sure we learn before ruining $100 plates. We plan to make a larger cell based off the design from Zerofossilfuel (his VSPB 25 plate). He was using the same adhesive and is getting a ml per minute per watt rating that blows mine out of the water. Thanks for any info.

Are your plates fully submerged or something? you need to keep the tops out of the electrolyte, when testing, or you will read the voltage of the electrolyte.

The Goop Marine adhesive is non-conductive.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

If you had the cell submerged, then you were reading the voltage that was passing through the electrolyte. Even after you take the cell out it will conduct as long as it is still wet. Try using a hair dryer to dry the cell off, then test it while dry.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Uwee Guest
    I had 95% of the plates submerged to keep the draw close to full but had the tops of the cell sticking out of the water by like 1/2 inch so I could touch the voltmeter to the top edges of the plates.

The plates were getting 3v
    the water was getting 6v
    the glue on the plates 6-9v (touching the outside of different places that were not touching water on the plates)

sandman Guest

Strange properties

I believe that cold be happening. I have experienced similar results with windshield sealant. It has crazy electrolytic properties and causes a sort of runaway reaction regarding heat and amperage.