Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plate discoloration

sm0kin Guest

plate discoloration

ok so i built a cell and have been running it at 8volts 4.5 amps using tap water and baking soda. i know the discoloration is possibly due to the electrolyte. the thing is the center of the plates are black and all around the edges there is no discoloration. if i ever figure out how to post a pic i will. thoughts on this, the plates are thin and possibly maybe they are closer in the middle? or the edges?

sm0kin Guest

ok here is a photot

bigapple Guest
    regardless of where the discoloration is, i can tell u right now that u have tons of impurities in ur solution for ur generator

1. using tap water is a bad idea... its good for testing to not waste ur good distilled water, but for normal operation, using tap water will cause ur plates to wear away much much quicker... the impurities in the water will leech out ur good metals and cause the iron in ur plates to bond with oxygen and form tons of rust (brown scum)... using tap will cause u to have to clean out ur generator all the time since it collects scum rather than no scum using good materials... the point of this; using tap is fine if u feel like spending a ton of money on getting new plates when these wear away very fast

2. using baking soda is not a good idea... boyntonstu had a spectacular post about this in general discussions... its called something along the lines of "DO NOT use baking soda" look it up and read it... it explains that KOH and NaOH are the best electrolytes to use since they are true catalysts and do not wear away during ur electrolytic reaction... u use much less of it and get great results with a cleanly operating cell... point of this one; baking soda = bad; KOH or NaOH = good... keep using baking soda if u wanna spend a bunch of money on plates and a new container (way too much heat buildup)

hopefully all this helps... tap and baking soda are bad ideas... use KOH or NaOH with distilled water... ull get better results, use less, and have a cleaner cell

sm0kin Guest
    my wonderings were about the discoloration around the edges. there was nothing covering the edges but there is no discoloration on them. my question is why no coloration on the edges. just trying to learn as much as i can and why things happen.

this is a test cell. so the baking soda is not a permanent thing.

Just a theory, but perhaps the lack of discoloration around the edges is due to the current not making it out that far?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

sm0kin Guest
    i honestly never even thought of that. Is that plausible tho?

I don't see why not, electricity will always take the path of least resistance, there must be a point where the voltage will stop flowing towards the plates edges and jump across the electrolyte instead. The discoloration, if my theory is true, is being caused by the electric flow.

I do remember reading somewhere that stainless steel does change color after a while of conducting current.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0kin View Post
    ok so i built a cell and have been running it at 8volts 4.5 amps using tap water and baking soda. i know the discoloration is possibly due to the electrolyte. the thing is the center of the plates are black and all around the edges there is no discoloration. if i ever figure out how to post a pic i will. thoughts on this, the plates are thin and possibly maybe they are closer in the middle? or the edges?
    I am having the same problem. My cell runs 12v but I have coils instead of plates and I also use baking soda just like smokin. I was thinking it was some sort of overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu888 View Post
    The bronze ware were unique national treasures for China in ancient times for their impressive designs, classical decorative ornamentation, and wealth of inscriptions. In comparison with counterparts in other parts of the world, the Chinese bronze ware stand out for their inscriptions which are regarded as major chapters in the Chinese history. We chinesebronze.net will together with you to the amazing field. Just do it, and you will find your life so colorful.http://www.chinesebronze.net/
    What in the world does this have to do with this thread? Unless the ancient chinese used hydroxy to power there vehicles.

RoddyHHO Guest

Leakage

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I don't see why not, electricity will always take the path of least resistance, there must be a point where the voltage will stop flowing towards the plates edges and jump across the electrolyte instead. The discoloration, if my theory is true, is being caused by the electric flow.

I do remember reading somewhere that stainless steel does change color after a while of conducting current.

From what I understand, the disadvantage of having plates simply submerged in an electrolyte is that the edges of the plates electrolize less efficiently than the middle of the plates. I believe this is what they call leakage current. Essentially this portion of your plates are generating leakage current, which is not making HHO, but does make a lot of heat.