Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with heat?

LinChiek Guest

Problem with heat?

if u r getting problem that ur HHO generator heats, u can use ballast resistor prior to ur HHO generator...

http://www.hot-spark.com/HS13BR.htm

LinChiek Guest
    actually this method is being used by someone from malaysia. he doesn't use a PWM controller... from what he said/told me, his generator doesn't heat up.

hope this info is useful... i would be happy to hear comments from u guys also! cheers!

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Interesting simplicity! Thank you for the info!

A resistor in line would drop the voltage, thus should reduce the heat buildup... Not sure how it be for production level though.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

LinChiek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post
    Interesting simplicity! Thank you for the info!
    u r welcome!

LinChiek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    A resistor in line would drop the voltage, thus should reduce the heat buildup... Not sure how it be for production level though.
    here's the function of ballast resistor

Sci-Tech Encyclopedia: Ballast resistor

A resistor that has the property of increasing in resistance as current flowing through it increases, and decreasing in resistance as current decreases. Therefore the ballast resistor tends to maintain a constant current flowing through it, despite variations in applied voltage or changes in the rest of the circuit. See also Resistor.

The ballast action is obtained by using resistive material that increases in resistance as temperature increases. Any increase in current then causes an increase in temperature, which results in an increase in resistance and reduces the current. Ballast resistors may be wire-wound resistors. Other types, also called ballast tubes, are usually mounted in an evacuated envelope to reduce heat radiation.

Ballast resistors have been used to compensate for variations in line voltage, as in some automotive ignition systems, or to compensate for negative volt-ampere characteristics of other devices, such as fluorescent lamps and other vapor lamps.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ballast-resistor

Quote Originally Posted by LinChiek View Post
    here's the function of ballast resistor

Sci-Tech Encyclopedia: Ballast resistor

A resistor that has the property of increasing in resistance as current flowing through it increases, and decreasing in resistance as current decreases. Therefore the ballast resistor tends to maintain a constant current flowing through it, despite variations in applied voltage or changes in the rest of the circuit. See also Resistor.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ballast-resistor
    Oh! its a Barretter. Now I understand. Yes, this might actually be a good safety device for preventing thermal overrun while maintaining a constant gas flow. Now I am kicking myself for not thinking about these earlier. I am off to the store... I must experiment!
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

LinChiek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    Oh! its a Barretter. Now I understand. Yes, this might actually be a good safety device for preventing thermal overrun while maintaining a constant gas flow. Now I am kicking myself for not thinking about these earlier. I am off to the store... I must experiment!
    hope 2 read ur feedback later.....!

liberybell Guest
    How are Barretters measure?
    The one on your link points to a 1.3 ohms. I am assuming they are measure by the maximum resistance that they can provide.
    The question is what barretter should we use for our system?
    I am glad though you brought this forward. Dealing with electronics (even though I am a computer engineer) is not my favorite thing to do. I hate mixing mechanics with electronics. Barretters should simplify our systems and make the system more durable.
    Thanks for providing this info.

Atechguy Guest
    I tried the ballast resistor because i keep blowing 30 amp fuses , it got so hot to touch after a several minutes , i took it off because i didn't know if it was it was right size it is 12v 1.2 ohms , my new analogue amp meter wouldn't work , oh well more set backs, how hot is the ballast going to get,?Its designed to drop 1/2 an amp on an ignition circuit, maybe it has to be mounted like to firewall as a heatsink??