Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: First off... which electrolytes NOT TO USE!

Sulphuric acid

I have been recomended by one site, to use Sulphuric acid diluted 5;1 as am elcrolyte. Any one got advive to offer.

JOHNM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Sodium Chloride (salt) releases Chlorine gas when used in an electrolyzer. Clorine gas is poinsonous, and is corrosive. Not that it would hurt you, but its not going to help either.
    if there is enough concentration of clorine gas it will kill you. there was a spill in las vegas and they evacuated 2 miles square and further down wind.

jm

Quote Originally Posted by Llew2_1 View Post
    I have been recomended by one site, to use Sulphuric acid diluted 5;1 as am elcrolyte. Any one got advive to offer.
    Sulphuric acid is H2SO4 so if you break it down during electrolysis you will end up with:

H2S04 --> H2 + O2 + SO2

or Hydrogen + Oxygen + Sulphur dioxide.

This means that it will smell like rotten eggs. All three components are gasses so you will have to replace your electrolyte as it gets used up, as opposed to both NaOH and KOH. Which leave the electrolyte in solution, so you only have to add more water.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Sulfuric Acid

Still sounds like KOH is the best solution. It relativley safe with a little common sense and very efficient.

SS HHO generator

To day I run my HHO generator for the first time. I was concerned that the SS case grounded to the car would not work. I am using the inside of the case as negative + 2 pairs of plates. The positive has 12 pairs of plates. It was gassing freely. Using Potassium Hydroxide 100 grams to 10 litres water. When the case is full it holds 20 liters.
    I am planing on using a litre bottle, with the bottom cut off and HHO hose going in through the top. To measure output. Putting the bottle bottom first into a bucket of water and allowing the HHO to push the water out of the bottle. This should give me the volume flow, in Ltrs/min.
    Anybody used this method of measuring the generator output.
    Llew

KOH and 316L

With years of building under my belt I've found nothing better than KOH (potassium hydroxide ) and 316L. AAA chemical or eBay for KOH and www.sidecuts.com for 316L. I got 75 plates 5 inches by 8 inches for $95. They sell remnants annealed or not.

cool thanks. I use AAA chemical myself for KOH.

Welcome to the forum
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

works great for measuring output.

KOH

So I work for CN Rail I haul 1000's of cars worth of Potash from Saskatchewan every year and I see piles and piles of this stuff laying around all over the place so i'm just curious is it just pure potash or does it have something else thrown in there to make it more reactive? Pretty cheap easy way to get ahold of some is to go down to the local train yard and dig some out of a pile lol just a thought if that's all it is

I also know we ship red and white potash wondering if anyone knows which would be best to use if that's the case?

I have no idea but I wouldn't trust stuff lying around on the ground... you could always bring some home and see how it fares.

Anyways, thought I'd contribute my 2 cents to this thread. I'm not actually trying to make an HHO thing but just interested in electrolysis in general. KOH is amazing - water remains clear, extremely conductive and electrodes (316L) only turn a little black which I'm guessing is due to high overvoltage/current and impurities. Too bad its dangerous to handle and eats glass.

Things not to use:
    Sodium Sulfate
    Potassium Nitrate

I'd read these were fairly inert but turns out they aren't. Both cause rusting, at least with 316 electrodes. NaSO4 is actually decent, but KNO3 is a terrible electrolyte in terms of conductivity, and hard to dissolve too. Better off using it to make some fun bombs.
    Of course, stuff mentioned before goes without saying - Salt, baking soda, etc.