Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: First off... which electrolytes NOT TO USE!

zachattack Guest
    I have tried baking soda and citric acid with poor results. Moving to KOH.

Can't speak for every state in the US or city. But I have moved around a good bit being in the army and most hardware stores have stopped selling 100% lye because it is so dangerous.

But you can search the web for soap making supplies they will have NaOH and KOH for sale. Some sites are more expensive than the others.

Zach

drumacc Guest

Lowes or Home Depot

I bought a jug 'o' Lye at Home Depot or Lowes a few months ago. I was with the rest of the drain cleaners. "Roebic" I believe was the brand name.

noelsingletary Guest

Clorine to Flourine

As a mechanic I know that anytime R-12 refrigerant which contains chlorine molecules is sucked into the intake of a running engine Flourine gas is produced and is extremely toxic. Salt produces Chlorine gas durinf electrolysis and would therefore produce Flourine gas at the tailpipe. I say NO to salt in any form.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by bagrman View Post
    one is that it will make up Chlorine gas,
    2 you are putting salt residue into your motor to burn? Don't know the long term effects that would have.

Zolar1 Guest
    Salt will make Hydrogen Chloride gas, which explodes on contact with sunlight, assuming you have enough of it made.

It can also make chlorine gas (AKA Mustard Gas from WWI), which wants to react with everything under the sun, including YOU if you have an exhaust leak.

Baking Soda makes 66% H, 30% CO, 4% CO2, but only in the beginning. After using it for a while, it converts to Sodium Hydroxide.

Using baking soda does have a few advantages:

1) far less damaging to everything if you spring a leak
    2) far less likely to corrode aluminum parts of your engine
    3) reduces or eliminates the need for an EFIE (but you would still need a MAP/MAF mod)
    4) is available almost everywhere
    5) is cheap

To the guy using sea water:
    Well there are a lot of other dissolved minerals/metals in sea water, and well as living organisms.
    You're not using straight salt water.

Using Sodium Hydroxide yields two times (2/3H + 1/3 O) in a hydroxy unit. It also isn't as efficient as KOH, which also produces the same results but with lower amps needed. With either of these two, you need an EFIE, MAP/MAF mods, IAT mod, and CTS mods to reap the full benefit.

I hope this helps.

jdchrista Guest
    Zolar1: How does baking soda negate the need for a EFIE, as opposed to KOH? I haven't heard this before.

FYI anyone shopping for NaOH: I've been to two Home Depots and two Lowes stores in CT and they no longer carry 100% lye products. They also look at you very suspiciously when you ask for Sodium Hydroxide by name.

My friend said he scoured the state looking for it a few months ago and can only find it locally in chemical supply warehouses where they scrutinize who's buying.

Quote Originally Posted by jdchrista View Post
    Zolar1: How does baking soda negate the need for a EFIE, as opposed to KOH? I haven't heard this before.

FYI anyone shopping for NaOH: I've been to two Home Depots and two Lowes stores in CT and they no longer carry 100% lye products. They also look at you very suspiciously when you ask for Sodium Hydroxide by name.

My friend said he scoured the state looking for it a few months ago and can only find it locally in chemical supply warehouses where they scrutinize who's buying.
    Unfortunately, the reason for this is that the junkies are using it to make drugs, hence it's removal from the shelves.

biodieselbarn.com is a good source of KOH and NaOH plus they ship very quickly.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

I'm not recommended to use baking soda and salt (NaCl)

baking soda = Sodium bicarbonate = NaHCO3, Because it content carbon "C". You will get CO2 on out put.

Salt = NaCl, you will get Cl2 (chlorine), water become yellow and spoil the plate!!

I recommended to use NaOH and KOH, But my personal is using NaOH, Because I can get the pure NaOH easy than KOH. Try to get 99% pure of NaOH or KOH for best electrolysis performance!!!!

Be careful when using pure KOH or NaOH..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdchrista View Post

Where are you in CT? i'm in Southbury.

Gary

ejohnson44004 Guest
    I have the same problem. I have dissassembled my generator and found the plates(SS switch plate covers) all coverewd with a bronze colored film. I'm assuming this film stopped the production of HHO. I just tore it all apart to clean. I'll letyou know how I make out. Anyone have any other suggestions?

pee as electrolyte

Check this out.
    I think someone on this site suggested it before.

http://www.physorg.com/news165836803.html

Russ