Thread: Should I use a water pump with my Dry cell

Should I use a water pump with my Dry cell

I am in the process of setting up my dry cell, I have most of the components. My question is this, I was planning on having my reservoir gravity feed the electrolyte to the Generator. I've seen some setups that have a shurflo water pump pumping the electrolyte to the generator.

1. What are the benefits of this?
    2. Is using a pump preferred?
    3. What would the recommended max gph of the pump be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac
    21 Plate 3" X 7" KOH Dry Cell

d3vilman Guest
    If you go to fulefromh2o.com they sell water pumps with their kits so you can get an idea of what pump you may want. Their description is this, "Want to boost your hho flow rate, get a booster pump. Solid state continuous duty pump. Operates on 12 volts DC at 7psi." they use it on applications where your cell is not below your bubbler. From everything I have read the pump just injects the hho harder than if you where to rely on the vacuum from the intake.

Hope this helps.

Question Pump or gravity?

Hi cabrera

I'm glad to found a similar guy trying on 21 plate dry super cell.I'm just starting to try and the first obvious is i don't have different levels in order to try on gravity for electrolyte, unless put my reservoir on the roof of my car.
    Plan b : use a pump.

In explorer you probabily have the levels but you make this or have used a pump?

I hope both can to interchange results.
    Thanks

There are arguments going both ways, pump or no pump. I have tried both. My preference is to use a pump. Not using a pump is a bit more efficient but very tricky to get the fluid/gas flow correct, even with a check valve between the reservoir and cell and fooling around with current draw. I found that the cell used up the fluid before it could be replenished by gravity. So, I put in a pump. Its a little more complicated, and a little less efficient but a lot less hassle. It worked every time I turned on the engine. The pump pushed electrolyte into the cell ensuring that no vapor lock occured between the plates somewhere. Out came hho and fluid into a bubbler. I also noticed that by circulating the fluid, the cell stayed cooler.

The one I use is a Jabsco 42510-0000 pump. 12v, 1.6a designed for boat galley faucets and cheaper than the Shur-flo. Available from West Marine http://www.wholesalemarine.com. I tried a generic windshield washer pump. It worked well for about 45 minutes then it smoked. Whatever pump you get, it must be rated for continuous duty.
    Red Rat

Quote Originally Posted by redrat100 View Post
    There are arguments going both ways, pump or no pump. I have tried both. My preference is to use a pump. Not using a pump is a bit more efficient but very tricky to get the fluid/gas flow correct, even with a check valve between the reservoir and cell and fooling around with current draw. I found that the cell used up the fluid before it could be replenished by gravity. So, I put in a pump. Its a little more complicated, and a little less efficient but a lot less hassle.
    Less efficient in what way?

I've decided to use a pump, I bought a small 1GPM Shurflo pump to help circulate the electrolyte. I was also concern that the electrolyte would not be in the cell at all times in a gravity feed setup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Less efficient in what way?

I've decided to use a pump...
    Only a little less efficient because you need to add in the amp draw of the pump when calculating the MMW of your HHO system. MMW should include not only the cell amp draw, but also from a pump, PWM etc.

You will be glad you decided on a pump, less headaches in trying to get the cell primed and flowing. Much more reliable too.
    Red Rat

I installed a windshield robust pump 1.3 amps 1 liter per min but i conect it
    througt pwm 50% duty cycle and i hope have not problem with 0.5 lpm of electrolyte circulation.
    Cabrera how much is your hho production in order to compare with mine?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridHHO View Post
    Cabrera how much is your hho production in order to compare with mine?
    I won't have some numbers on this setup for a few month. I am in the process of getting all the components together for this new build on my Explorer Sport Trac. It's my 1st venture into a computer controlled, pollution controlled vehicle. It's a little more complex than my previous setup on a 74 VW beetle now that I have to take MAF enhancers, O2 sensors, exhaust gas temperature, etc into account.

Once I have this all in I will definitely post some numbers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Andy
    HHOSportTrac

Lightbulb

I think you start trying when you have only the EFIE, this is the the only one system that info to ECU your mix rate lean/rich and if your EFIE info the mix is rich your ECU will not compensate.
    Good luck
    I tell this because i have MAFE , EFIE -display and obc installed and i see whats happens and who is taken the control.