Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First off... which electrolytes NOT TO USE!

Sodium Chloride (salt) releases Chlorine gas when used in an electrolyzer. Clorine gas is poinsonous, and is corrosive. Not that it would hurt you, but its not going to help either.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

potassium hydroxide, isnt that potash?
    Where do I buy it, and what do I ask for when calling around for prices?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

ELECTR0N3RD Guest
    I think i will just stay with baking soda, or maybe try this "Lye" thing everyone is screaming about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Sodium Chloride (salt) releases Chlorine gas when used in an electrolyzer. Clorine gas is poinsonous, and is corrosive. Not that it would hurt you, but its not going to help either.
    I figure that introducing the water into the engine and exaust will have enough of a long term impact to deal with, let alon having to replace gaskets and other seals along the way...Salt is good for the bench, but I would like to know about something that is going to be much more stable and safe for the engine as well as the generator.

Lye is getting alot of talk around the boards, but it is really harsh stuff....I guess it is all about compromises and good chemistry....

Can anyone tell me where to find Potash, and any potential hazards?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

grytvikken Guest
    what about the effects on an aluminium engine of some of the more popular electrolytes? this stuf lye wouldnt the gas produced have a nasty effect on the engine over a long term?

Quote Originally Posted by grytvikken View Post
    what about the effects on an aluminium engine of some of the more popular electrolytes? this stuf lye wouldnt the gas produced have a nasty effect on the engine over a long term?
    the LYE doesnt leave the tank with the gas, and the bubbler will filter anything if it does.
    If your electrolyzer is leaving the generator and making it through the bubbler to the engine, then yes you should be worried.

grytvikken Guest
    ok just had caustic soda in the mind and seeing as though its so aggressive a chemical i was worried that pumping the gas created by it may have a corrosive effect on the internals of an engine.
    so am i to assume that the properties of the gas produced is the same for any electrolyte used?

Quote Originally Posted by grytvikken View Post
    ok just had caustic soda in the mind and seeing as though its so aggressive a chemical i was worried that pumping the gas created by it may have a corrosive effect on the internals of an engine.
    so am i to assume that the properties of the gas produced is the same for any electrolyte used?

No, some electrolytes release carbon monoxide, other release clorine. The point of the bubbler is to filter the gas as it flows through the water. From everything I can find, there are no negative releases formed from the use of NaOH in electrolysis. I may be wrong, but I cant find anything that says otherwise. So from that aspect, the only thing you have to worry about is getting the electolyte into your engine.

Bwanar Guest
    This is about the cheapest place I've seen to get KOH. It is my favorite catalyst.

http://www.cosmeticgrade.com/Potassi...ide-p-595.html

goingreen Guest

Lye or not to Lye

I built a Smacks Booster....I had tried 8-10 other designs before swallowing my pride and buildins Smack's design...His design outputs 1.2 LPM at 18 Amps...by far the best I have achieved.
    I have KOH and SOH and compared them. SOH (Roebic Drain Cleaner) actually gives us the best gas production at the same current draw as KOH. It took 1 3/4 tsp of SOH per gallon of distilled water to get the 1.2 LPM vs KOH took nearly 3 tsp/gallon of distilled and gave me .9 LPM at the same current draw (18 Amps)

By the way,
    if you are looking for KOH, it's used by taxidermists and tanners. I ordered mine from here:
    http://www.braintan.com/mm5/merchant...Code=Materials