Thread: Best Lye mix

drumacc Guest

Best Lye mix

I have been resisting having too much Lye in my water, and have tried 1/8tsp to 1/2 tsp per Gallon.

What is the best mix?

Drumacc, You got to give a little more info than that. Are you useing a dry or wet cell? What size cell do you have ? How are your plates spaced.
    +-+-+-+-+ or +nnnnn-nnnnn+ or what? How far apart are your plates spaced? It would be hard to answer your question without more info.

Quote Originally Posted by abe58 View Post
    Drumacc, You got to give a little more info than that. Are you useing a dry or wet cell? What size cell do you have ? How are your plates spaced.
    +-+-+-+-+ or +nnnnn-nnnnn+ or what? How far apart are your plates spaced? It would be hard to answer your question without more info.
    Why would it matter?

Gary

truckman1966 Guest
    amperage and heat

Kohl

I have used 100 grams with 10 literes water, works well. After mods I will fill up the generator with 20 literes water. Was pulling 30 amps. No heat.

So about a 1:100 - 1:200 ratio correct? This would seemingly be ~ 2.5 - 5 tablespoons of KOH per gallon (US). That's about the same ratio that I currently use. Seems to work well for me so far.

Things that can affect this number are:

- the grade of KOH (is it soap maker or lab grade) *big difference in purity there
    - the plate gap (closer the plates, the lower the ratio can be to a certain degree generally)
    - cell pattern configuration (less unhooked plates will allow less KOH, but more energy will be wasted in the form of heat)