Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Is Almost here!!

redneckgearhead34 Guest

Winter Is Almost here!!

Since winter is almost here in NC and maybe already there in some places I have decided to do some testing on how well electrolyte solutions do in sub-freezing temps.

I am going to make small solutions and stick them in my freezer which gets down to at least 14 degrees F and see what happens.

For electrolytes I am going to use KOH and Baking Soda. I will have to get some NaOH since a lot of people use it.

fisher Guest
    cool, a timely experiment.

candyman55 Guest

Freezing

I use KOH in my generator and have tested it in the freezer. My mixture is 2 Lbs. of KOH per galon of water and at 14 degrees it don't freeze.

I thought that my freezer only went to 14 deg. because it was old, is this the normal temp?

I would really like some colder results cause it gets much colder than that here sometimes.

I tested 2 1/2 tsp KOH in 1/2 gal. distilled. Froze solid in the storage freezer.

Has anyone figured out a way of keeping the electrolyte from freezing during the winter? What about last year? What did most folks here do during last winter?

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Ok I went out and checked my containers of electrolyte mixture in my freezer.

I had 2 tsp of baking soda/gallon and 2tsp of KOH/gallon. My freezer rubns at about 13 degrees F.

They were both frozen solid. I am going to double the concentration and then see what happens.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    All I really know is that I will not be putting any alcohol under the hood of my car.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    All I really know is that I will not be putting any alcohol under the hood of my car.
    Ya drinking it is the perferable thing to do

I set up a resistive heater and insulated my gen.. If interested, see the schematic posted on the "Temperatuer feedback pwm" thread.

It monitors the gen temp, and turns on the heater if the gen goes below 38 degrees F.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    That sounds like the thing to do. I'm looking along those lines too. I'm thinking about a sticker/heating element. You can cut them to size with scissors, stick on some wires, stick on a thermostat and controller and forget about it.