Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Injection Thread

Water Injection Thread

I noticed that several people have started discussions, within other threads, about water injection. I wanted to try and bring this altogether under one thread so we could maximise our information sharing.

Even if you're simply interested in utilising water injection but don't have anything to contribute at this point, please post so we can get an idea of how many are interested in this.

I'm going to start by saying that I built a system which I installed today using a coffee jar and an air stone. I think though that I need to move it to a higher vacuum area.

I also found this link which is very interesting and discusses various techniques:

http://waterfuel.100free.com/water_injection.html

Let's get together in one place and share our information and experiences of WI.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

I have been using water injection on my turbo cars for a long time. Cools the intake charge. The set-up I am using is little or no cost.
    Parts:
    Cold start injector from a 80's Saab, VW, or Bmw.

In line fuel pump and relay
    Windshield washer tank
    I have mine set up on a pressure switch to come on at 12 psi boost. On a N/A car I guess you can use a microswitch on the throttle body.

Nice setup, thanks for sharing.

I have mine hooked up to use vacuum from the throttle body of my truck, but its just not pulling enough to move any vapour.

I'm thinking I either need to hook into the manifold vacuum or setup some kind of forced injection before the throttle body.

Is yours a self build or a kit? Can't see too much detail as I'm at my sons football game on my blackberry, is your injection point in the air system or direct to manifold?

what about using those ultrasonic mist devices?
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    Yes! I had the same thought. Wondering if they would pump out enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Nice setup, thanks for sharing.

I have mine hooked up to use vacuum from the throttle body of my truck, but its just not pulling enough to move any vapour.

I'm thinking I either need to hook into the manifold vacuum or setup some kind of forced injection before the throttle body.

Is yours a self build or a kit? Can't see too much detail as I'm at my sons football game on my blackberry, is your injection point in the air system or direct to manifold?
    Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    No kit, Just junk yard parts except for the pressure switch. Normally I run a mix of 20% methanol 80% h2o except when I am on the track then I run straight methanol.
    Installing the cold start injector is easy. Just drill a hole large enough to slide the injector tip in and 2 pilot holes for a couple of sheet metal screws. I used a piece of fuel line as a gasket. Has not leaked yet even at 26 psi boost. The injector wiring is easy. 12 volts on, doesn't matter which wire is positive. As for placement I have mine 6 inches before the throttle body to ensure complete atomization before it reaches the intake.

Clayne_b Guest
    I have it on my 92 cummins. it makes a big difference on my exhaust temps, and i think it gives me a little more hp, ive had it on my truck for a while now and have absolutly no complaints, i got mine from snow performance. it is regulated off of boost pressure. and is fully adjustable from like 5 psi to like 25 psi.

Been thinking about other ways to make water injection work and still remain simple, here's what I came up with:

RamAir Water Injection

1) Mount a funnel behind the grill of your vehicle, where it will get a good strong stream of air as you drive.

2) Attach a hose to the end of the funnel and lead this to your water-tight container.

3) Run the hose through a barb and down to an air stone sitting in the water.

4) Run a hose barb from the top of the container and run this to the air intake.

Theoretically, air being forced into the funnel should accelerate and create positive pressure through the air stone, forcing water vapor and air through the barb into the air intake.

Issues I can possibly see:

1) Too much air pressure might just send floods of water into the air intake, this would need to be experimented with before attaching to the intake. Maybe run the outlet hose out of the hood and to the bottom corner of your windshield so you can see what kind of water ejection you are getting. A sponge in the top of the water container might help here.

2) Some kind of filter might be required between the funnel and the water container to prevent blockages.

Definitely going to try this setup as soon as I get my extenders on and have affirmed my mileage gains with just HHO.

Any thoughts?

My Setup: Went from 30MPG to 42 MPG

No BS. Pretty simple installation as well. I use two 32 oz. polycarbonate containers with 2 inlet silicone inlet hoses and one main 1/4" output hose from each.

Here's a video showing the units in action:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

For all those who cannot see the video: http://tinyurl.com/yjjs2ap