Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apexi AFC's vs standard EFIE's

Apexi AFC's vs standard EFIE's

where do i start? ok the Apexi AFC's are devices used to re-tune your car's ECU/ECM/PCM(engine computer). it does this by changing your car's MAF or MAP signal going to your car's computer like a EFIE, but unlike the EFIE the Apexi AFC's has multiple correction points. correction meaning fuel to air ratio. here is an example why a Apexi AFC is better in my opinion, a EFIE has ONE fixed setting, meaning when you set your EFIE gauge or knob that's it until you move it again so lets say your car idle at 700RPM and with your EFIE you can lean to a certain point and its good enough to idle low and not stall out but at a higher RPM or at a higher air flow it would stall out so you cant have that same setting for your whole driving, but with a Apexi AFC you have multiple correction points. so you can idle low like say you are at full stop at a light you can set your idle to very low just to keep the engine running and when you accelerate and your RPM goes above idle you can set it to run a little richer so you don't stall out.

check this site under support and you will find all the manuals for all the different types of AFC
    http://www.apexi-usa.com/

you can check on eBay or craigslist in your area for all the older type AFC because Apexi only make one model now and its expensive. i prefer the VAFC's if the vehicle allows it. i buy 2 VAFC1 just 2weeks ago for $50 each so they are not that expensive.

read up on the manuals and get to know the AFC. the pro's use it to tune just keep that in mind.

did you check craigslist in your area?

I did a Craig's list for my state (Colorado), California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the cheapest was $150 but most were $250 and above. I must of done 100 searches.

really? here in Florida i got a bunch of VAFC1 for $50 to $60. im waiting on the day a SAFC2 come along for $100

I did a Craig's list for my state (Colorado), California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the cheapest was $150 but most were $250 and above. I must of done 100 searches.
    Bhart, It's like any other bargain you have to be there first. I have found them for as low as $35 at least in California. They are snapped up by the Honda hot roders. I prefer the latest Neo. Here is the cheapest AFC in Cal. right now that is in driving distance for me. I am sure he will take something less they all do.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2315376655.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

AFC Neo

there is a Neo close to my city selling for $250 but i don't have the cash to buy it now

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2321540327.html

this is a good deal damit but i dont have the cash for it right now
    http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/2321632012.html

Are the VAFC1 set up for particular makes of vehicles like the Volo are, or can they be used for any make of vehicle.

they are made with an additional feature to control cars with Vtec. Vtec is the V in VAFC. its just like a SAFC but with Vtec controller.

i use my VAFC1 on my 1998 Subaru Legacy(JDM), 2002 Toyota Corolla(JDM), 2004 Nissan Maxima(ADM), 1996 Nissan Maxima(ADM), 2009 Subaru Legacy(JDM) and now my 2004 Saturn Ion

the VACF can be used with alot of cars but to deal with two O2 sensors the SAFC2 is best in my books. if you only have one O2 sensor to worry about just use the VAFC1. cheap and does the job.

Are the VAFC1 set up for particular makes of vehicles like the Volo are, or can they be used for any make of vehicle.
    Bhart, the VAFC is basically a map/maf tuner (adjustable) with a function for adjusting valve timing in Honda's that have variable valve timing. If your MAP/MAF operates in the range of 0-5 volts then it should work. Here is an explanation of what the latest Neo does.

The AFC NEO is a universal unit that can be used on a wide range of cars and trucks that have an air metering system that uses a VAF, MAF or MAP sensors operating within the 0-5 volt range, as well as applications using Karman sensors. There are some unique applications that do not allow for the proper functioning of the AFC NEO. If you are not sure, please contact Apex for assistance.
    The advantage of these tuners have over a cheap MAP/MAF adjusters is that it can be set at a number of different RPM's instead of one setting for all ranges of RPM which most MAP/MAF adjusters do. The variable valve timing is of no value unless you have a Honda or some other car that uses the same adjustable valve system. I have always been looking for ways to do this cheaply without adding additional electronics but am still looking and testing. These tuners make it easier to find where the sweet spot(s) is/are and I use this info to find other ways to do the same thing. No luck so far.LOL

Richard seams to call the MAP/MAF an O2 sensor. What ever...........
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

correct me if im wrong for calling the front MAP/MAF sensor a O2 sensor, but is this a fact if you port your HHO in front of your front MAF/MAP sensor will it sense the additional O(oxygen) coming from the HHO and tells the car to run richer because it thinks its pulling more air than fuel? isn't this why everybody stop porting their HHO in front of their front O2 sensor(MAF/MAP)?. some people will get fed up of answering old questions but i will go over and over it for the sake of the few that will learn.

i have been over AFC years back http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread....d_lyew&page=16 but only a bunch of people that just wanted to cuss you out and tell you that your system is not working and you are an idiot bla bla bla get you to the point where you cuss back and get banned. i told myself i would never come back to this forum and share anything but i cant and WILL NOT let a few bad apples spoil it for the whole bunch. i rather to block those bad apples and save the bigger bunch.

myoldyourgold thanks for pointing out the MAF/MAP voltage range, i didnt remember to do so. for the EU cars, if someone is thinking on getting a AFC they should get the AFC SELECT because the ADM and JDM MAF/MAP sensor is different on the EU type cars. and the MAF(Mass air flow sensor) is a MAP(manifold air pressure sensor). this is how the MAF acts as a MAP, the MAF reading goes into the computer and then based on the RPM and TP reading the computer can then calculate the pressure inside the intake manifold.

after using AFC's i have learned alot about how the car's computer operate. the AFC teach me alot