Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect HHO Test Bed?

Perfect HHO Test Bed?

Hello Everyone.
    I need your input.
    I have a 1991 Corolla Hatchback, 1.3L Carbed Engine with NO computer and a mechanical fuel pump. It runs well, engine has been overhauled, and so on.
    I would like to know how you would outfit this machine with HHO if it was your car. I am currently calculating the base mileage without HHO. This is after it has been cleaned by an HHO unit running on it for a bout 1 year.
    The unit puts out over 2LPM easily, and has 1 bubbler/reservoir, and 1 bubbler with Vinegar in it. Both bubblers are 12" in length and 2.5" in width.

Please point out:
    • Where you would let the HHO enter the engine (i.e: Intake Manif, or air cleaner, etc.)
    • How much HHO you would have the unit produce.
    • What tweaks, if any, you would make to the car's existing setup (i.e.: AFR adjustment, Idle adj, Timing adj, etc.)

This info will prove to be of help to myself, as well as anyone else with a similar setup. I hope to also do similar tests on a 1990, 1.5L EFI OBDII Geo Prizm. A Toyota mark 2 vehicle may be in the works as well, so your help would go a long way.
    Let me hear what you all have to say, and we can see what comes of it!

First of all, you should feel a power difference from with or with out.
    And a exaust gas temp gauge is a good thing to have if you are going to modify you carb, since you dont want to lean out the fuel to where the engine gets to hot.

I put my HHO before the TB or carb, dont like vacuum sucking any junk out of the cell. And have gotten better results from doing it this way.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Thanks for the reply!
    I do feel some difference with the HHO. It's kinda hard to keep track though, cause I keep fixing things on the car, so it runs better and better.
    The EGT gauge is a good thing- I'll have to search for one. (Look at my location.) I think cost will be a factor if I find one.
    I dislike the idea of NoAH vapours entering my carb/engine as well, so I have my output hose above the carb's opening in my air cleaner pan. I also fashioned a 'dryer' from one of those pop-cap plastic bottles stuffed with sponge. The air passes through this before entering the air cleaner pan. I was also hoping it would stop the flame advance if there was a flashback. -Kinda like a pressure release system.
    I spoke to my mechanic and he's saying I shouldn't mess with the A/F ratio, but if that's what needs to be done (since the car's not gonna do it automatically) then it needs to be done.
    When I get around to the other vehicles which have computers in them, we'll see how things turn out.
    I'd appreciate any other tips you can give me. Thanks!

Mileage without HHO is approx 27MPG.

It seems that I'm gonna have to do some more home work on my engine/timing settings. I pulled a plug and checked it on Sunday - week 3 without HHO. To my surprise it was ash grey -which I learned meant that it was a tad too lean???
    I was barely able to read the timing from the strap! It looked kinda like 20 on the plug chart below, but the ground strap was the colour of the porcelain.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/plug_chart.html
    I guess I need to check out the reading which explains the plug colours again.
    http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

Anyhow, I will report how the colour changes after HHO use.
    Maybe I do not need to change the Air to Fuel ratio on my carb fater all, if it's a bit lean already.

I was getting some GREAT mileage this week, until my reservoir developed a crack in it (brittle, I guess.) I am gonna try to salvage what I can of the mileage. I was at about 3/4 tank yesterday evening. Btw... I am usually at half tank about this time, but am at 1/3 because of the broken rez.
    Gonna see what happens over the weekend -going on a trip over hills!

Well, despite my troubles with a brittle rez, I ended getting about 28MPG -not bad, but it would have been better if things had kept up.
    I almost got 29MPG travelling from St. Catherine to St. Ann with 4 full grown adults in the car -not bad at all. (That's a lot of up and down hill with no traffic. 600lbs extra weight and 2% impact on mileage per 100lb factored in.) Too bad the rez cracked again, so there was no HHO or about 1/2 the journey back. I will change the bottle his weekend -three strikes and you're out, right?
    During these runs, the reactor was using 9amps cold.

Funny thing -when my rez ran dry, the car began to struggle going uphill (lingering in 1st and 2nd gears) like it used to before I started feeding it HHO.
    Does this mean I need to adjust my air fuel ratio???

I wouldnt adjust yet, try it out longer, without the extra weight, and see what u get.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by hhofox View Post
    Well, despite my troubles with a brittle rez, I ended getting about 28MPG -not bad, but it would have been better if things had kept up.
    I almost got 29MPG travelling from St. Catherine to St. Ann with 4 full grown adults in the car -not bad at all. (That's a lot of up and down hill with no traffic. 600lbs extra weight and 2% impact on mileage per 100lb factored in.) Too bad the rez cracked again, so there was no HHO or about 1/2 the journey back. I will change the bottle his weekend -three strikes and you're out, right?
    During these runs, the reactor was using 9amps cold.

Funny thing -when my rez ran dry, the car began to struggle going uphill (lingering in 1st and 2nd gears) like it used to before I started feeding it HHO.
    Does this mean I need to adjust my air fuel ratio???
    HHOFox,
    Have you thought about fabricating a custom reservoir from some PVC pipe and fittings of appropriate size and shape to fit your available space? It's a heck of a lot tougher (it sounds like) than what you've had to replace twice now..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mytoyotasucks
    I'll definitely have to try it without the extra weight AND with a proper rez. I won't make any changes until I have exhausted the current possibilities.

BioFarmer93
    I realise now that the bottle I am using is suitable for a bubbler, but not as a rez. The last time I used PVC was when I used to make wet cells. The thought of wet cells kinda irks me, but I'll need to make then again at some point it seems -rez and bubblers from PVC that is, not wet cells. Thanks for the idea.

For some strange reason, it seems like the car likes about 1LPM of HHO. I'll measure my current output today, then see what things are like after I replace my bubbler. I had an old radiator spill-over bottle, that I am gonna use. That should be more than tough enough. We will see.

I also have to check fr an oil leak. Since my oil level goes down by a little bit on some days, and not on others. Wonder if it's HHO related?

oil leak

fox;
    Check the rear bumper near your tailpipe, is there an oily soot there on the bumper? If not check under the car really well for oil dripping(on the car not the ground). The only way HHO would have anything to do with oil burning is if you've had too much electrolyte or water getting into the cylinder and washing the walls, which could lead to damaged cylinders and rings. As long as you keep out excess water or electrolytes you wont need to worry over that.
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.